Fresh Air, Kenyon Review VI(4), Fall 1993.
- Checkout Desk, ACM, Summer 1996.
- Cooking, Virginia Quarterly Review, 69(2), Spring 1993.
- Lucia, Virginia Quarterly Review, 67(2), Spring, 1990.
* Work published under Carol Lopate.
The House, The Literary Review, 33(3), Spring 1990.
- The Sign. PEN/NEA Syndicated Short Fiction Prize, Spring 1990; Broadcast on PBS, The Sound of Writing.
Nothing for Nothing, The American Voice, Spring 1989.
- Stepmother, reprinted in Arts Review, January 1987; and in Women and Stepfamilies, Philadelphia, Temple University Press, 1989.
- In Sight of Josephine, Witness, Winter 1988. Reprinted in Robert DeMaria and Ellen Hope Meyer, A Contemporary Reader for Creative Writing. New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovitch, 1993.
- Shadow of a Bird, Women's Quarterly Review, Winter 1987; winner of the magazine's "honorable mention" award.
- Marion, New Letters, 54, Summer 1988.
- Vienna, Sun, Winter 1986.
- Traveling Show, Blueline, VII(1), Summer Fall 1985; winner of Blueline's 1985 best story award.
- Stepmother, anthologized in The Available Press, PEN Short Story Collection; introduction by Ann Tyler. New York: Ballantine, 1985.
- Holiday for Love, (PEN/NEA Syndicated Short Fiction Prize); appeared in Hartford Courant, Newsday, Miami Herald, Arizona Republic, February April 1984.
- Or a Short Story, Feminist Studies, Spring 1983.
- Stepmother, (PEN/NEA Syndicated Short Fiction Prize); appeared in: Hartford Courant, The Oregonian, Rocky Mountain News, San Francisco Chronicle, December 1983.
- The Amigo, (PEN/NEA Syndicated Short Fiction Prize); appeared in: Chicago Tribune, Hartford Courant, Newsday, Rocky Mountain News, July and August 1983.
- An Older Friend, Rooms, Summer 1979.
- "Wasn't it Last Week You Said You Were Coming?" Aphra 2(4), Autumn, 1971.
- Phillip and Carol Take a Trip, a Dream Story, The World, 1968.